- Phone: 210/619-4003
Remember to send in an excuse note anytime your student is absent.
- Calling in a student absent does not excuse the absence – only a submitted note or e-mail from a parent/care provider excuses the absence.
- Doctor and parent notes may be turned in the Steele attendance box located in the mall area. Please make sure your student's name and ID number are on ALL notes!
If you will be picking your student up early, you must come to the front office and sign them out. Please make sure to have your I.D. available.
- An absence is considered unexcused when a note is not provided within 3 days of the student returning to school.
- A note from a care provider will only excuse the day(s) listed. If your student is out for longer, an additional note from a parent is required to excuse the extra days.
- If your student is sent home by the nurse, a note from a parent is still required to excuse the time your student misses school.
- If a student has a note from a doctor that has instructions for PE/Athletics, it is the student's responsibility to make a copy for the PE/Athletics teachers. Any note that is turned in directly to the PE/Athletics teacher(s) that is not also given to the attendance clerk will be considered unexcused for attendance purposes.
- Three (3) unexcused absences will result in a Truancy Warning Letter from the school. A second warning letter is sent at eight (8) absences. Nine (9) or more unexcused absences (per academic year) will most likely result in a court appearance.
- A student is allowed nine (9) excused or unexcused absences per semester (18 per school year) in order to meet the Compulsory Attendance Law's 10% rule. Absences over this amount may result in loss of credit and/or grade retention.
- The tardy bell rings at 8:40 AM. Students will be counted tardy if they are not in their seats by 8:40 AM. After 10 minutes of the ringing of the tardy bell, students will be considered absent for the period they miss.