There are no fines for overdue books. If the books are not returned, the student cannot check out. However, books that are long overdue may result in a fine.
Books that are overdue for a month or more will be assumed lost - - -
1. A note will be emailed with a deadline for returning the long overdue book.
2. If the book is not returned by the deadline, a fine is issued and entered into the student's My School Bucks account. Parents/guardians will receive an email with an invoice to pay for the lost book. The fine can conveniently be paid with a credit card in My School Bucks. Parents/Guardians have 30 days to pay for a library book. A late fee will be assessed if the fine is not paid by the 30-day due date.
Students who find a book within a reasonable amount of time after it has been paid will receive a refund as long as the book is in the same condition as it was when it was first checked out. Refunds will be issued up until the last day of the school year.
More Information about Library Book Fines
- If a student/parent believes a book to be lost, please let the librarian know immediately. Sometimes books do not get scanned back in, for whatever reason. They may be believed to be lost, when in fact, they are sitting on the shelf in the library. Making the librarian aware of the issue may be an easy solution.
- If, in fact, the book is lost, the librarian will issue a fine through My School Bucks.
- Library books with minor damage most likely can be repaired by the librarian.
- Extreme damage, such as water/drink/food spills and pet chewing will result in a fine.
- Parents/guardians will be issued an invoice through My School Bucks for damaged books.
When a student has an outstanding fine for a lost or damaged book, s/he may not check out until the fine is paid.
Although I teach the students to take responsibility with their librarary books, the parent is initially responsible for lost, stolen, damaged books. If at any time, you wish for you child to refrain from checking out books, please contact the library right away.
I understand library books are expensive. Payment plans can be arranged if that helps with payment. Please let me know if you have problems paying for a library book.
Typical Cost of Book Fines
Books - cost the amount that it takes for the library to replace it, usually from around $10 to $30, depending on the book.
- Library books are purchased from vendors that sell books specifically made for libraries, therefore, books purchased from stores (i.e. Amazon, Barnes & Noble) will not be accepted as replacement for lost/damaged books.
Books w/CD's and CD's - $10 to $40
CD Case - $2
CD Bag - $3
Torn Off Labels - $1