Ms. Brooks' Class Info
Reading Log: Red Homework (sent on Fridays and due the following Thursday). A Reading Log Sheet will be in the folder and needs to have at least 100 minutes per week logged. This folder needs to be returned on Thursday.
HERO FOLDER: Responsibility Folder (sent daily). It contains the Assignment Sheet, behavior calendar, graded papers and other informative papers. Please check your child's folder daily for work and return it the following day. Any grades below a 69% can be redone and returned to school for a 70%.
*Fontas and Pinnell consists of leveled reading groups (Book Clubs), and Centers to promote skills learned in class. TEKS will be implemented in all areas. Some examples of TEKS are: Context Clues, Main Idea, fact/opinion, cause and effect, vocabulary development, reading a variety of genres, making predictions, sequencing, making inferences, compare/contrast, summarization, story elements, etc. Your child will be receiving a numerical grade in Reading.
Language Arts Program
* The three areas of Language Arts are: English, Spelling and Grammar. Spelling tests will be given on Fridays and will contain both words and dictation sentences so your child will have to remember to use proper capitalization and punctuation. Handwriting without Tears handwriting will be used in 2nd grade. We will review writing How-To's and Personal Narratives. Numerical grades will be given in Language Arts. Parent Conferences will be scheduled in October to discuss your child's progress.
* Math in our class will incorporate the use of various programs. Math Homework will NOT be sent home. I will send your child home with a Math Workbook and assign different pages for your child to complete themselves or with assistance at home. Please do not return these pages. Instead, please initial that your child has worked on the pages. Please help your child correct their mistakes on their homework as well as practice Spelling Words at home.
Science and Social Studies
* We follow a district-wide timeline that contain all the TEKS objectives. Numerical grades are given in both of these subjects. Participation will be graded heavily and will be included in the grade. Objectives will be taught in theme like units.
Report Cards and Progress Reports
* Each student will receive a report card for each 9 weeks. Progress reports will be given to all students after every 3rd week and 6th week of the 9 week grading period. Our report cards and progress reports will be computer generated as they were in previous years. There will be 2 copies sent home so you can sign one and return it to school and keep one for yourself. Your child will be receiving numerical grades in the following subject areas: Reading, Math, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies.
* Volunteers are welcome to help in or out of the classroom. SCUCISD has a policy that all volunteers receive a background check. If you want to be a volunteer, please fill out and return the form located in the Student-Parent Handbook that went home on the first day of school. If you wish to attend any fieldtrips a background check will be required.