Reading is Fun!
* Use magnetic letters to practice building words
* Search for high frequency words in the world around: driving down the
streets, restaurants, stores, etc.
* Look for patterns in words
* Use words you know to spell other words: I can spell like, so I can spell
bike, hike, strike....
* Highlighting: read books and list or highlight all of the high frequency words
* Slowly write a word down. have your child try to figure out what the word is
as quickly as possible
* Toss a ball to a child and call out a word. have child spell the word when they catch the ball. Then they toss the ball back and have you spell a word.
* READ! READ! READ! Have your child read to you and you read to your child daily!
* Work on story elements:
-name the characters
-what was the problem/solution?
-list 3 main events
-retell the story to a friend
-setting? (when and where the story takes place)
* How was the main character similar and different to you?
* How would you have tried to fix the problem?
* Discuss or write about the story