General Procedures

  • Bad weather closing
    Policy FFF

    The district may close schools because of bad weather or emergency conditions. When such con­ditions exist, the superintendent will make the official decision concerning the closing of the dis­trict’s facilities. When it becomes necessary to open late or to release students early, the following radio and television stations will be notified by school officials:


    Policy CKC

    Each campus shall have emergency procedures focusing on safety for students and school personnel that can be implemented on short notice. The Superintendent or designee shall develop a crisis management plan and update it yearly.

    All employees should be familiar with the evacuation diagrams posted in their work areas. Fire, tornado, and other emergency drills will be conducted to familiarize employees and students with evacuation procedures. Fire extinguishers are located throughout all district buildings. Employees should know the location of the extinguishers nearest their place of work and how to use them.

    Purchasing procedures
    Policy CH

    All requests for purchases must be submitted to the purchasing department on an official district purchase order (PO) form with the appropriate approval. No purchases, charges, or commitments to buy goods or services for the district can be made without a PO number. The district will not reimburse employees or assume responsibility for purchases made without authorization. Employees are not permitted to purchase supplies or equipment for personal use through the district’s business office. Contact the purchasing director for additional information on purchasing procedures.

    Absence reporting

    This is an extremely important area for which you are held personally responsible. All employees must report absences using the Substitute Absence Management System (SAMS). Failure to report absences is a disciplinary infraction. It is inappropriate and illegal to pass your Personal Identification Number (PIN) to another person to report an absence on your behalf. If you do, you lose control over an individual responsibility for which you may be held personally accountable for errors. All employees of the district need to view the training tape and must register with the SAMS system.  Each employee is responsible for reporting their leave or absence to their supervisor, as well as reporting it to SAMS.  A written request for discretionary personal leave shall be submitted to the principal, director or designee two working days in advance of the anticipated absence.  Absences can be reported to the SAMS system by telephone or by Internet/Intranet access. The webcenter ( is accessible from Macintosh or PC compatible computers and uses an Internet browser. Logon information requires two identifiers, which was issued to you when you registered with the SAMS system. Employees have the capability to record absences and review past, present and future absences.

    Employees who schedule a half-day leave are not compensated for lunch. Half-day schedules are dictated by the campus hours or auxiliary schedule. Half-day absences for exempt employees are determined on the following timetable (variations are not authorized):

    Grades Pre-K - 6
    7:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
    11:45 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
    Grades 7 - 12
    8:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
    12:15 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

    If you have any questions or experience difficulty with the system, contact the Help Desk for assistance. There is a SAMS administrator on each campus to assist you.

    SAMS Phone Number
    SAMS Help Desk Number
    210-945-6245 (7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.)

    SAMS personal identification number

    Record your PIN/password and safeguard the number because you will need it each time you call the SAMS. If you forget your PIN/password, you can access the system using your User ID and the system will inform you of your PIN/password number.

    Absence reporting on in-service staff development workdays

    When a campus has an early student dismissal, the employee must enter their absence in SAMS twice – once for a half day so a substitute can be called and once for the half day with “no sub required.”

    Example: All day absence 8:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. for one segment and 12:15 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. for the other segment not requiring a substitute. By entering the absence in this manner the employee is charged for a whole day of leave, but we are only procuring a substitute for the half-day when students are present.

    Name and address changes

    It is important that employment records be kept up to date. Employees must make changes or corrections to their name, home address, home telephone number and emergency contact information through the Employee Access - Self Service menu option on the District's website.  If you are making a change to your name, you must bring a copy of your corrected Social Security Card to the Human Resources Department before the name change can be finalized. 

    Personnel records
    Policy GBA

    Most district records, including personnel records, are public information and must be released upon request. Employees may choose to have the following personal information withheld:

    Address (includes personal email address)

    Phone number

    Social Security number

    Information that reveals whether they have family members

    The choice to not allow public access to this information may be done at any time by submitting a written request to the personnel office. New or terminating employees have 14 days after hire or termination to submit a request. Otherwise, personal information will be released to the public.

    Building use
    Policy GKD

    Building principals or the Finance Office are responsible for scheduling the use of facilities after school hours. Contact the building principal or the Finance Office to request to use school facilities and to obtain information on the fees charged.