- This technical laboratory course addresses knowledge and skills related to child growth and development from prenatal through school-age children, equipping students with child development skills. Students use these skills to promote the well-being and healthy development of children and investigate careers related to the care and education of children.
- Students are encouraged to participate in extended learning experiences such as career and technical student organizations and other leadership or extracurricular organizations. **Byron P. Steele II has a very active FCCLA organization for students enrolled in FCS classes.**
Units of Study:
Unit 1 Roles & Responsibilities of Parenting
Unit 2 Prenatal Care and Development
Unit 3 Infant Development
Unit 4 Toddler Development
Unit 5 Development of the Preschool Child
Unit 6 Development of the School-Age Child
Unit 7 Career Opportunities in Child Development
Link to TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills) for Child Development Class: Child Dev TEKS
Students will use the following supplies for class on and off campus. When we return to campus, students should bring the following supplies with them.
1. black or blue pens
3. folder or binder
4. lined notebook paper (loose leaf or spiral bound)
5. plain white paper (unlined/copy paper)
6. colored pencils (or crayons)
7. glue and/or glue sticks
8. paper scissors
1. 6-inch or 12-inch ruler (12-inch preferred)
Students will need access to Google Classroom and be able to scan or take pictures of assignments & upload to turn in project work.